Sunday, October 19, 2014

Radio Shows and Scholarship Exchanges

So I am now about a month in on my radio show. I thought I was really clever calling it The Noughties with Dargie, seeing as how I play music from the 2000's up until now. Its on Wednesday's 4-5 on Radio Ellenbrook 88fm. It's a nanocast station so you can only hear it in Ellenbrook, but we are working towards a community licence with a larger broadcast area.

I really think it is perfect practice for me and it is really fun! I think I have already improved in the way I speak and the way I operate the gear. I also got some brand new headphones which somehow make everything better! I do think this is a good stepping stone, as radio is something I would like to pursue.

I have also applied for a scholarship to study in Georgia, USA. It is through Rotary and I finally sent off all my paper work. I always thought I had missed my chance with exchange as I'm now too old for most programs. However, when someone pointed this one out I jumped right in.

I have always loved travelling and exploring. I have also always wondered about studying overseas, and now it's actually a possibility.

To be considered you have to sit SAT, just like all those American kids in movies. I found the whole process much more serious than our WACE exams. They checked off ID and you were only allowed a pencil and a calculator. I did the test last weekend and didn't find it too difficult, the maths was probably the worst. I had to relearn most of the maths that I either never did or haven't since high school. They way all the questions are is just different to the way I'm used to.

I am very excited about both opportunities and hopefully they open many doors for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment