Friday, November 27, 2015

Turkey Day!

On Thursday I celebrated Thanksgiving with my host family. This was a totally new experience for me. I got to experience this American holiday for the first time, and try some different, and sometimes strange foods!

Wednesday night I helped prepare some of the food and then had a bit of a sleep in on Thursday and avoided most of the hard work! I got to watch some of the Macy's Day Parade on TV, there were so many huge floats and inflatable characters, my favourite being Pikachu!

We had a big lunch feast. There was turkey, dressing, mac and cheese, and this sweet potato dish with marshmallows on top! I tasted it and it wasn't as bad as it sounds, very sweet though. Then we had pecan pie and mango key lime for dessert. All washed down with some interesting conversation and a few drinks.

Then for dinner we were off to the next feast, there were the same sorts of things to eat, and just as yummy! We didn't even have a chance to be in a food coma as were off to watch the Atlanta Gladiators hockey team play.

The game was very exciting even though they didn't win. We were really close, so much so that we could count the teeth the players did or didn't have when they got smashed up against the glass! There were not really any fights, but I thought it was pretty rough. There was one punch up and they played this "viewer discretion is advised" track which I thought was pretty funny!

 They had this little blimp that dropped prizes during the break and they had this competition where you could buy soft pucks to throw onto the rink. If you were closest to a certain spot you won a prize and the money from the pucks went to charity. There was lots of loud music and they turned off all the lights just before the players came onto the rink. It had a really great atmosphere.

So first Thanksgiving down; I had a really great time!


Then on Saturday a few of us GRSP's went to another Thanksgiving feast. We had turkey and pie and spent the day watching football. It was a great chance for us to just spend time together.


No comments:

Post a Comment