Tuesday, August 4, 2015

I'm in America!

The four of us, Mum, Dad, Renee and I got up early to leave for Perth Domestic Airport. After I had one last cuddle with the dog, Jaz, we were on our way.

I had to line up, instead of self-checking in as I was on an international transfer flight. While I was waiting in the queue, a few friends arrived to see me off, which was very sweet and nice, especially as the sun wasn't even up yet!

Once I had checked in and we were through security we had time for a quick coffee before I had to board. I was probably the last one to board after hugging everyone.

The flight to Sydney was mostly uneventful, even though the pilot said there was an auxiliary power issue and they were manually starting one of the engines, or something like that!

Anyway, arrived on time in Sydney and caught a shuttle bus to the international airport.

As soon as I got through immigration and security, boarding had started. On my way though I was stopped and randomly  selected for explosives testing, so I was taken into a little interview room for them to swab my clothes and belongings. The officer announced it to me like it was some sort of prize! It was obviously negative and I was on my way.

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
I was on the huge airbus A380, that has an upper and lower deck! Luckily I was seated next to a nice girl who had studied journalism and now worked in marketing-small world!

We were very well fed on the flight. We had dinner, then they brought out hot chocolate, ice cream, fruit, hot dogs, chocolates, cheese and biscuits and then finally breakfast in the morning.

On arrival in Dallas I had to go through immigration, my line was a bit longer as I had a visa. That was all fine and then I had to collect my bags to go through customs. The bloke pretty much said "yep off you go" and I was through. I had to drop my bags off again so they could be loaded onto another plane.

I had to go through security again, but this time I had to take my shoes off too. I also had to stand inside that machine with my hands up to be scanned, instead of the normal metal detectors. It took a few attempts for me because I moved.

I then had to hop on the sky train to take me to my departure gate. Dallas airport is huge!

The flight to Atlanta was pretty quick and a bit bumpier than the previous two flights.

When I landed I went straight downstairs to baggage claim and somehow missed where everyone was waiting for me, but it didn't take long for them to find me.

It was really great to finally meet everyone and we all went out to dinner which was really nice.

On the drive to the restaurant I got to look at all the different things I would like to explore, like the home ground for the Atlanta Braves and the home to CNN.

The waitress refilled my drink before I had even finished the first and there was even mouthwash in the bathroom, which was interesting.

Then I got to go back to the house where I'll be staying before I move into the college, and I was glad to get a good sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment