Sunday, October 4, 2015

Australian Education and a Diner


So a few more strange things I have noticed. Here, a drill is called a screw gun. Also, entree is usually meat with a side item, not something you would eat before a main course. They also call round beef patties sausage, which makes breakfast confusing sometimes. They don't do pork sausages for breakfast like we have back home.

I went on a tour of Rainbow Village with Duluth Rotary Club.They are one of their supporters along with other Rotary clubs and organisations. It was really nice to see their facilities and what they do. The following is copied from the Rainbow Village website:

"Our vision is to be a national model of an educational and holistic approach to breaking the cycles of homelessness, poverty and domestic violence."

There was an international night at GGC where different people set up tables for the other students to learn about different countries and cultures. I set up a table and told people bits and pieces about Australia. There was also salsa dancing where it was reconfirmed that I am a terrible dancer.

On Friday night I managed to convince four others to come with me to a pub in Atlanta to watch the Australian Football League Grand Final. It was an event hosted by the AFL team here in Atlanta. It was like a normal Grand Final party, beer, first goal scorer, winning team and margin and a raffle. I bought three raffle tickets and won two prizes, so I did alright! Despite the result, we did have a nice time. The others did say that AFL is a very exciting game.

I also went to a diner for dinner which was a really cool experience. I got a huge meal, that I took home for the next day, and I got a massive slice of pie! The place just looked really cool! The menu was the size of a small novel and they had rows and rows of cakes and pies. It was very hard to choose what to have. 




2 comments:

  1. Lauren, so glad that you are sharing your year with us, but I have to comment on the drill and the sausage. I have never heard a drill called a "screw gun" and I have never heard of anyone eating a beef patty for breakfast!! Maybe they do, but........ probably not in the South. We do have sausage that is shaped into a patty. People like to eat them inside of a biscuit, so they work better as a patty rather than a link. I also must say that I never thought of eating cheese with yogurt. Now that is interesting!!!! So glad that you are keeping an open mind about things and can't wait to see about your next adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I keep discovering things that are just a little bit different!

      Delete